If you ever thought Amazon Prime delivery was too slow, you are probably neck-deep into the on-demand economy. From on-demand dinner to on-demand drivers to on-demand doctors, anything you need is available with the push of a button right to you. These peer-to-peer marketplaces are one of the biggest growth markets around.
But what about for businesses? What on-demand needs are being met? The one we are most passionate about is matching talent on-demand. You may have never considered on-demand staffing or even heard of it before. On-demand staffing allows you the ability to get help for your business in a moment’s notice. Think Amazon’s Mechanical Turk for virtual work or Wonolo for local work – tap into talent when ever and where ever you need it.
If you are new to this space, here are some situations in which you should definitely consider giving on-demand staffing a try.
1. Unpredictability: Your business has unpredictable demand (fluctuating orders, uneven customer flow, dependent of weather, etc) but you staff to the averages, not the peaks.
2. Odd Jobs: There are many tasks you have to do that could be done by almost anyone really. Data entry, online research, etc. Consider what your time is worth and then consider how much it would cost to bring someone in to do it instead.
3. Seasonality: Seasonality isn’t limited to seasons btw. Heavy on weekends, holidays, or certain events? Consider brining in help to ride through the most important times for your business.
4. Discovery: Want to try something new? Experiment? Not core to your business but want to give it a shot? Rather than moving around scarce resources (your staff) why not bring someone in to help set it up for you?
5. Recruiting: How much luck have you really had with interviews and resumes? And how much time have you spent reviewing these documents, talking on the phone, or meeting in person only to find the performance post-hire wasn’t as you expected? Why not “try-before-you-buy” and bring in talent for a test run? Not only do you get to see their fit, they get to try you out too.
6. No shows: Your team isn’t there when you really need them. Sick days, traffic, last minute day off, or just flat out quit? You need help right away to keep you up and running.
7. Reward: You need time to celebrate! Reward your staff – go to a bar or go to a beach. Bring in someone in the meantime to keep things running for a day while you recharge.
What other situations would on-demand staffing work for you? Let us know and we’ll point you in the right direction to find the help you need.